Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tearing It Down



Chapter 1

She had said no.  She didn't want to, she thought.  No.  She didn't.  But in her heart of hearts, she wanted to tell him yes.  But she couldn't.  They worked together. it might be weird.  They were professionals. But as she waited at the bar of an upscale Miami restaurant, it became quite clear to her that she had made the wrong choice.  He was late.  Very late.  She had waited a half hour, and that became 45 minutes.  She cursed and downed a glass of champagne.  "You suck, Jake, you know that?" She muttered under her breath.  “Damnit!” She felt so stupid, and she knew she should have known he’d do that.

          “Boyfriend didn’t show up?” Charlie the bartender asked her.

          “No, he didn’t. The bastard!  I knew I should have gone with Delko instead.”

          “Who’s Delko?”

She took a deep breath and took another sip of her drink.  “A very nice guy.  He likes me.  I like him.  But we work together and I didn’t want to get involved. But he’s a far better man than Jake.  I trust him.”

          “With your life?”

          “With my life.   And I’ve had to trust him many times…”

          ‘What do you do?”

          “We’re cops, CSI’s… We’re not technically partners, but we might as well be. We’ve been working together for a long time.”

          “Oh.  So are you going to stay here?”

          “I’ll give him 5 more minutes, but then I’m leaving.”

          “Well, miss, if you don’t mind my saying so, any guy who would stand you up doesn’t deserve you.”

She smiled sweetly at that. “You’re right.”

          ‘Well then, wait your 5 minutes and then I’d suggest finding that Delko kid and going after him.”

          “I’ll do that. Thanks, Charlie.”

As she expected, Jake didn’t show up.  She got in her car and left him, what her dad would call, a “Nastygram” on his answering machine.  “I was at the restaurant waiting for you, but now I’m not.  I waited 50 minutes for you to show up, but I got tired of waiting and I left.  If you want to call and apologize, I’ll be waiting.”

She drove to the part of town where Eric lived.  She pulled into the parking lot and then went in the front door of the apartment.  She knew he was home because she had seen his light on.  She walked up to the third floor, room 314.  She took a deep breath and knocked on the door.  He opened it less than 15 seconds later.  When he saw her, a mixture of happiness and shock appeared on his face.  “Calleigh.” Was all he could say.

          “May I come in?”

He seemed a little reluctant at first, not knowing her intentions of visiting. But he nodded his consent and showed her in.  “Would you like something to eat or drink?”

          “I’m fine.  Thank you though.  I think I drank enough at the restaurant.”

          “Bad date?”

          “More like the lack thereof.”

          “Oh, I see.  Did you have a date and they didn’t show, or you just didn’t have a date and that made you upset?”

          “I had a date and he never showed up.”

          “Then whoever he is, he doesn’t deserve you.”

Her voice got very quiet as she spoke, looking him in the eyes.  “But I think I know someone who does.”

He looked really surprised.  “What?”

          “I know that that other guy is no good for me, Eric.  I was stupid.”

          “What about?”

          “I was stupid for choosing Jake instead of you. I have never really been able to perfectly depend on him the way I can depend on you.  It was really mean of me to lead you on and then go out with someone else… And I’m sorry.  I really am.  You didn’t deserve that.  You’ve always treated me like a lady, and you’re a good man…  Kind.  A gentleman.”

He was confused, but he looked flattered.  “Calleigh-  I don’t know what to say.”

 

 

Chapter 2:

               “Say you’ll be there.” Calleigh had said to him.

Eric was stunned, obviously.  She told him to meet her back at the restaurant.  She gave him a half hour.   He didn’t have to think about it, but he did need to change his clothes.  So, he went as fast as he could.

 

Calleigh waited at the bar, and the bartender asked her, “You’re not still waiting for that nimrod who stood you up, are you?”

               “No, Charlie.  I’m not.  I asked the man I love to meet me here.”

               “Oh, the Delko kid.”

               “Yeah.  I hope he shows.”

               “Honey, I don’t think you have to worry.  If he’s anything like what you said, he’ll be here.”

And Calleigh needn’t’ve worried.  Soon, someone sat next to her.  She recognized his scent.   He always wore the best-smelling cologne.  He said to her, “Is this seat taken, miss?”

               “No.  Go right ahead and sit down.” She smiled, blushing.  He was so sweet.  Eventually, they got a table.  And Calleigh looked Eric in the eyes, knowing he was the one, but trying to hide the fact that she had figured it out.  “Thanks for coming.” She said.

               “I had to.  You know I’m in love with you.”

She smiled.  “I know you are.  I love you too.  I’m sorry I didn’t see it.”

               “It’s ok.   I love you anyway.” He chuckled.

               “So, Horatio said you looked pretty chummy with the kid, Holly.”

               “I love kids.”

               “Hmm.  I never knew that.” She was blushing even more now.  That was always something that made men sexy.   If they liked kids and dogs. 

               “Well, we never talked about it.” He said.

               “No.  We never did.  But now, we can.  I like these conversations.  I think it adds depth to our relationship, as friends, and—.”  she paused.  “As a couple.”

And this was something Eric Delko never thought he’d hear from Calleigh Duquesne.

No comments:

Post a Comment